insurance requirements

Insurance Requirements for Vendors and Contractors

All contractors, vendors, and service providers visiting the university must be insured.

Insurance is essential to cover any claims or losses. An insurance certificate should be requested before work or a contract begins.

A Certificate of Insurance is a standard form that validates the policyholder’s protection (such as policy limits and types of insurance).

To conduct business at Tufts, vendors must meet the following minimum insurance requirements:

Additional insurance for a product or service that Risk Management and Insurance deems unusual or exceptional may be required.

For commercial general liability insurance, the combined single limit is $1,000,000 per occurrence and $2,000,000 aggregate.

Injuries at work: statutory limits

• Employers’ Liability Insurance of $500,000.

For vendors driving on Tufts University property, including owned, hired, and non-owned cars, automobile liability coverage of at least $1,000,000 per incident is required.

Liability coverage for charter bus companies must be at least $5,000,000.

Other Insurance Coverage:

• Professional Liability: $1,000,000 per incident, for a period of three years after the agreement expires.

This insurance obligation applies to suppliers who have professional designations or provide professional services. Each event is limited to $2,000,000, with the maximum depending on the nature of the services to be provided.

$500,000 per occurrence, $500,000 total.

in addition to your existing general liability, automobile, and professional liability policies.

Depending on the proposed agreement’s scope and work, this coverage may be required to meet the minimum insurance requirements.

• Cyber Risk Insurance: $2,000,000 per claim for the duration of the contract and three years following.

• When a third party uses, stores, or has access to private, confidential, or protected data.For further information, visit

• Liability for environmental damage: $2,000,000 total and per claim

Working with hazardous substances or waste, or similar exposures, is required when a vendor does environmental clean-up (decontamination or remediation).

Depending on the job, higher environmental liability limits may be required.

When providing services or products to the University, vendors and contractors must add Tufts University as an extra insured on their general liability insurance policy and give the University 30 days’ notice of cancellation or non-renewal. This insurance must trump all other legitimate and enforceable policies.

The University is an additional insured on the workers’ compensation and professional liability insurance.

Liability coverages offered on a “claims made” basis should be mentioned.

A vendor’s, contractor’s, or service provider’s responsibility should not be limited by coverage or limits.

All policies must be written by carriers licensed to do business in Massachusetts and rated “A” or better by A.M. Best.

Until then, annual insurance renewal certificates are required.

Concerns can be directed to Debopom Mitra at

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.